Blog

January 27, 2022

Enhance Your Drupal Website's Authoring Experience Part 2 - Declutter the User Interface

By Clayton Dewey

In our first post, we saw the big difference that switching our Drupal website to the Gin admin theme can make for sighted users. Gin’s approach to spacing, its clean icons and soft color palette allows the elements on the page to breathe more freely (and we authors as well!). There are so many elements on this page, however, that the interface can still feel overwhelming. We have some tips to help make things better. 

January 12, 2022

Enhance Your Drupal Website’s Authoring Experience Part 1 - Modernize the Admin Theme with Gin

By Clayton Dewey

Something as simple as switching the administrative theme can have a big impact on the usability of your website for sighted users, thanks to the law of the aesthetic-usability effect.

October 6, 2021

Using Analytics and Usability Testing to Inform More Tenants of Their Rights

By Clayton Dewey

We knew through analytics that "Resources" on Bay Area Legal Services were not reaching as many people as they should be. We used usability testing to make small changes that greatly improved user engagement. 

August 23, 2021

The Best Drupal Accessibility Checker for Content Authors Is... Editoria11y

By Clayton Dewey

We want our websites to be able to reach as many people as possible. If done right, your site's visual design and theme will ensure that color contrasts work for the vast majority of people, that screen reader users and keyboard navigators can use your menus, and that other accessibility benchmarks are met. So, when all is said and done, remaining accessibility issues usually come down to the content that editors add to a site. This is where accessibility checkers prove useful. 

July 22, 2021

How to Add an RSS Feed to a Drupal Website

By Clayton Dewey

I recently went through the process of setting up an RSS Feed for our blog here at DevCollaborative so that our articles can be syndicated to Planet Drupal. It had a surprising amount of gotchas and the documentation was dated and sparse. So I thought I’d help remedy that by sharing what I learned.